The Benefits of Meditation & Why You Should Meditate
Meditation is something I have been doing and coaching people regularly for 4 years now, so today I wanted to share some of the benefits with you.
A lot of people consider it to be airy-fairy hocus pocus for long-haired hippies that has no benefit. What I can tell you is that it was good enough for Arnold Schwarzenegger who meditates regularly (the Meditator not Terminator!).
Furthermore, take a look at some of the most successful business people in the world. In the Book, ‘Tool of Titans by Tim Ferris‘ he interviews and analyses world-class performers, icons, and billionaires. 80% OF THE PEOPLE INTERVIEWED IN THIS BOOK WERE REGULAR MEDITATORS.
What are the benefits?
- improves sleep
- reduces levels of stress hormone (cortisol)
- improves energy levels
- helps you think clearer to help identify your vision
- is great for weight/fat loss due to the fact that you become more insulin sensitive and your level of stress hormones reduce
- is a great anti-ageing practice
- prevents you from making poor decisions
- improves your self-awareness
- increases oxygen intake
There are many ways to meditate but you can choose to start off with this basic approach below. Once you have done this a number of times you may alter or find a more effective method that works best for YOU.
- Begin with 10 minutes twice a day, but know the more often you do it the more benefit you will get.
- Download some relaxing music, a guided meditation from YouTube or you use any of the meditation apps or podcasts. Some people don’t need any music. You are better downloading the music or guided meditation so you do not get disturbed while meditating. Ensure your phone is on airplane mode.
- Lying down or sit up straight while listening to peaceful music or guided meditation take a deep diaphragmatic breath in as your belly expands, and then exhale out through the mouth. Repeat this for 10 minutes.
Check out a video from Graham Whitehead to ensure you are breathing the correct way:
Take a break from life’s chaos, you’ll soon reap the benefits and never want to stop!